Skip to main content

Is Stress Bad? Written By a Girl from the Appalachian Coal Region

 Hello! I am on a mindful essay topic kick evidently because today, I want to talk about stress. Is all stress bad? Is it bad for us to be under pressure? You put your body through stress when you're working out to get stronger. Throw some beef, vegetables and beef broth in a pressure cooker and it comes out delicious! And it certainly works for coal... but does the same go for everyday life stress? 

Growth

Just like with muscle mass in the gym, I believe that stress in life helps us grow as individuals. Without stress, we would never learn how to adapt. I think being able to adapt is a GREAT attribute. I feel it is essential if you want to have a successful life. People who have a difficult time adapting to different environments often don't flourish and have to find something that fits them. Don't get me wrong, if things aren't working out and you need to leave the situation, by all means, get out of there! But I do think it should be after making a real effort to adapt to the stress. After all, it could be teaching you new skills that you'd never learn otherwise.  

Sets An Example For Others

When other people see how you handle stress, they could be learning from you. We are role models, whether we know it or not. You never know who's watching. Someone at work, someone at the DMV, or someone you're walking by in the grocery store. It's crowded, you're probably hungry, and you've just come upon a very crowded pasta sauce aisle (this could be Trader Joe's). Do you grumble about how it's always chaotic in this place, or do you patiently wait and maybe even scoot out of the way for someone else to get through because they actually only need the one thing you're standing in front of? This stuff seems small and maybe insignificant, but I think it's much more than that. I think that someone else, maybe a very impressionable teenager, or an older adult who was starting to doubt all humanity, needed to see that example of handling a stressful situation. 

We could easily change this to something a little more stressful, and I think it still remains true. People are watching you and you could be the example for them. 

Sets An Example For Yourself

Okay, so this is sort of abstract, but hang in there with me. I think about times that I have goofed up a lot. Why did I do that? Or, why didn't I just do this? Occasionally, I do know when I have handled something well, but there are definitely times when I have completely fallen apart. Whether it's a disgruntled customer and employee, or a family emergency, I can always learn from my experience. I can "take notes" from what I did or did not do, say or did not say and use them for the next inevitable stressful situation. 

I don't believe there is a way to avoid stress. If there is, PLEASE tell me. Life will be crazy, happy, sad, tiring, and all kinds of other things for us. All we can do is control how we deal with it. I will leave you with this thought; stress can teach us grace- and grace is very rare. After all, diamonds are made under pressure. ๐Ÿ’Ž

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Decor, Discipline, and Maybe even a Scented Candle๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ•ฏ️

  Good morning, reader! I feel a mindful essay coming on! Grab a coffee and maybe a notebook, because this essay has some numbered bullet points!  I have been thinking about discipline a lot lately. I feel like it goes hand in hand with attention span, self-awareness, and ambition. Is it becoming more and more rare? They say with smart phones, everyone's attention spans are diminishing. I have noticed this with myself sometimes. This is not a judgement- just an observation I've made about myself and the world around me. And I want to refine it for myself. I want to be disciplined so that I can live my dream life.  I am dedicating this post to 3 ways to be more disciplined in a world that has little to none. So, let's begin! 1. Why do you want this? I believe you should first recognize why you want to achieve something. Is it for your health? Is it for your career? Maybe it's less extreme than that. Maybe it's for your home to be decorated for Halloween. Whatever it ...

Spring Has Me Writing Again ๐ŸŒผ๐Ÿ’›

  It has been a while, but I am back! It is so nice to be typing here again. After a busy fall, a holiday season that didn't slow down for a minute, and the harshest winter I've ever lived through, I finally feel like I can breathe, and write, again. I will do a quick recap of my life and then explain my plans for the future of this blog.  So, since my last post was in October, life has been full. Here's a little peek at what's been happening behind the scenes: 1. My cousin's wedding was a success! It was beautiful and now they are actually pregnant!!! I can't wait to meet their baby girl.  2. Thomas and I were fortunate to be a part of our friends' engagement that took place in Boston in December! It was so much fun celebrating the two of them and surprising the bride to be! Now I am excited to help her plan their wedding for next year! 3. I'm changing my career from retail pharmacy to hospital inpatient pharmacy! I start in exactly 3 weeks from today. ...

April So Far + New Things!

  Hello reader, and welcome back! I am so glad you're here today! Just a quick recap on what's new with me... I had the best birthday week ever, my new job is great so far, and I have been working out more than ever. I am feeling content and accomplished. What a combo, right?! I'll share some pics of this month so far below! Myrtle Beach Airport! Enjoying iced coffee on the screened in porch! We had perfect weather every day that week in Myrle Beach I've been going to Trader Joes once a week now for the last few weeks, they have the best quick lunches! Thomas and I on our way to enjoy restaurant week in Portsmouth! (yes I'm wearing a turtle neck because we had 40 degree weather that day -_-) This has been me lately. Regina and my yarn in my lap every evening.  Regina and Joey love to get in the Bible Okay, so there are my little moments from the month so far. Since it is Monday, the beginning of the work week, I want to talk about new beginnings.  I love new things ...